As the largest resource of information specific to women's brain health, we are sure you will find what you are looking for, and promise that you will discover new information.
Published on: November 26, 2014
by Digital Journal:
The recent news that the brain of actor/comedian Robin Williams showed signs of diffuse Lewy body disease has created more interest and coverage in this widely under-diagnosed condition than ever before.
However, it can be difficult for the lay person to understand this complicated disease, and the Lewy Body Dementia Association offers the following to clarify the confusion.
1. Lewy body dementias (LBD) are the most common form of degenerative dementia. The only other form of degenerative dementia that is more common than LBD is Alzheimer’s disease (AD).
2. LBD can have 3 common presentations:
Regardless of the initial symptom, over time all three presentations of LBD will develop very similar cognitive, physical, sleep and behavioral features, all caused by the presence of Lewy bodies throughout the brain.
3. The most common symptoms of LBD include:
4. The symptoms of LBD are treatable: All medications prescribed for LBD are approved for a course of treatment for symptoms related to other diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease with dementia and offer symptomatic benefits for cognitive, movement and behavioral problems.
5. Early and accurate diagnosis of LBD is essential: Early and accurate diagnosis is important because LBD patients may react to certain medications differently than AD or PD patients.
6. Traditional antipsychotic medications may be contraindicated for individuals living with LBD.
7. Early recognition, diagnosis and treatment of LBD can improve the patients’ quality of life.
8. Individuals and families living with LBD should not have to face this disease alone.
9. Physician education is urgently needed.
10. More research is urgently needed! Research needs include tools for early diagnosis, such as screening questionnaires, biomarkers, neuroimaging techniques, and more effective therapies.
The emerging science of epigenetics describes the way our lifestyle and environment influence our gene expression over time. This growing field of research is a hot topic right now because it has radically altered our...
They cleansed the rodents of retired cells. Over...
In 2012, almost one-third of the Canadian population provided care to family members or friends with long-term health conditions, primarily those linked to aging/frailty and forms of dementia. This number will only increase, placing more and...
The material presented through the Think Tank feature on this website is in no way intended to replace professional medical care or attention by a qualified practitioner. WBHI strongly advises all questioners and viewers using this feature with health problems to consult a qualified physician, especially before starting any treatment. The materials provided on this website cannot and should not be used as a basis for diagnosis or choice of treatment. The materials are not exhaustive and cannot always respect all the most recent research in all areas of medicine.