As the largest resource of information specific to women's brain health, we are sure you will find what you are looking for, and promise that you will discover new information.
Published on: March 2, 2012
by Bold Sky:
Although there is no hard and fast proof, most psychiatrists agree that women and depression have a way with each other. It is probably something to do with the fact that their hormonal activity is much more turbulent than men. On Women’s Day 2012, it is time to give this trend a serious thought because depression in women or men is a serious affair. Especially for women after 40 this is trend becomes a raging mental syndrome.
On Women’s Day 2012 (March 8,2012) we should actually analyse some of cause effect relationships that make depression post 40 a dangerous proposition for women.
Why Depression In Women Post 40 Is Dangerous?
1. Menopause: The main culprit when it comes to depression is menopause. Most women have their menopause (termination of the menstrual cycle) in between the ages of 40 and 50. For a good 30 years of your life your entire emotional system has been controlled by rising and falling hormones. Suddenly, the monthly ‘highs’ and ‘lows’ stop. That makes a woman irritable and when family and friends are not understanding this could lead to clinical depression.
2. Emotional Implications: Menopause has many emotional implications too. When a woman reaches this point in her life, she can never conceive a baby again and though that might not be her aim anymore, it has a profound psychological effect on her subconscious mind.
3. Mid Life Crisis: The feeling that your life is passing you by, you are not wanted anymore, that you have achieved nothing can all be summed up into one word; ‘mid life crisis’. Both men and women have it. While men deal with it by drowning themselves in work or having a string of affairs, women take to depression many times.
4. When Kids Learn To Fly: For both working mothers and stay at home moms. Kids occupy a huge portion of their time. From the time their born to the time they go to college, they constantly need you and then suddenly one day they fly away to lead their own time. This happens most of the time in your 40s or 50s and the fact that your children do not need you anymore does not go down well with most women.
5. The Careerist’s Nightmare: For the hard core career women who did not think about marriage or a family so far, this is the time to start having regrets when they see their friends’ kids grow up. Then a lot of ‘what ifs’ and ‘why nots’ start haunting you.
6. The Mirror Doesn’t Lie: After all the mirror cannot be on your side forever; the ravages of aging start showing and as women after 40 start scrambling to cover it with makeup, the futility of it rocks them from within.
On Women’s Day 2012 take a closer look at your mother, wife, sister and see if signs of depression in women are haunting her.
It’s no secret that if you want to keep your mind sharp, it’s worth making some time to workout. Yes, exercise won’t only give you a sexy body. It’ll help get you a sexy brain as well....
Depression is a constant sadness affecting our activity level, behavior, thoughts, feelings, and sense of well-being. Those affected often feel empty and worthless, which could lead to erratic behavior or even suicide. There are numerous...
One in three cases of dementia could be prevented if more people looked after their brain health throughout life, according to an international study in the Lancet. It lists nine key risk factors including lack...
The material presented through the Think Tank feature on this website is in no way intended to replace professional medical care or attention by a qualified practitioner. WBHI strongly advises all questioners and viewers using this feature with health problems to consult a qualified physician, especially before starting any treatment. The materials provided on this website cannot and should not be used as a basis for diagnosis or choice of treatment. The materials are not exhaustive and cannot always respect all the most recent research in all areas of medicine.